Cardiff Metropolitan University Ladies 2-0 Caldicot Town Ladies – Archers widen gap with victory over sturdy Caldicot

Cardiff Met Ladies

Cardiff Metropolitan University strengthened their place at the top of the Welsh Premier Women’s League as the Archers scored in both halves, to see off the challenge of Caldicot Town. 

Erin Murray got Met off the mark after breaking down the Caldicot Town rearguard before Jasmine Simpson made an immediate impact to double their lead.

The win puts the Met twelve points clear of nearest placed Cyncoed Ladies, who play third-place Swansea City this Sunday.

Kitty Wells gave Cardiff Met their first opportunity of the game by shooting from a tight angle following a neat pass from Ellie Walker-Smith, forcing Alisha Young into her first save.

Ashleigh Harris had the first chance for the Blues as she tried to test Sara Moreira with a left footed shot, but she had it had covered with a composed save.

Young was there to deny Met again early on, first by using her body to block Stacey Ayling’s shot, before reacting with an instinctive save to Lauren Townsend’s shot.

Young was impressing early on with a number of important saves, but Caldicot’s rearguard was broke in the 14th minute as Erin Murray was played in for a one-on-one, which Young could save initially, but Murray scored on the rebound to give the home side the lead.

Harris was presented with an opportunity to equalise for the bottom-placed team, with a fine ball from Carys Walters but the forward could only put her shot over the bar, as they sought an immediate reply.

As Met searched for a second goal to provide some breathing space, Erin Murray swapped to the opposite flank. She found Naomi Clipston on the other side, who had two chances to put herself on the score sheet. Clipston first forced Young to make a superb left-footed save, before then hitting the crossbar after a cross in from Murray.

The referee blew for half-time with Met having a majority of the chances, which was expected given their standing in the table, with an impressive 41 goals in 11 league games.

Wells almost added to that tally immediately after play resumed with a low effort that attempted to catch the keeper out, but Young was alert.

Caldicot started brightly in the second half with a neat passage of play, starting from the flank. Emily Bayliss crossed the ball into Harris and her shot went just wide of the post.

Cardiff Metropolitan University Ladies forward Jasmine Simpson curls her effort at goal.
(Image: Jordan Jones)

Dr Kerry Harris made an early change as she brought off Kitty Wells off, making way for youthful forward Jasmine Simpson.

It was an immediate impact for Simpson after just seconds from coming on, she solidified Met’s lead, curling her effort into the goal.

The referee showed Steph Turner the only yellow card of the game as she pulled back Georgie Malpas in the centre of the pitch.

Caldicot Town Ladies were presented with a good opportunity to reduce the deficit after Harris was brought down for a free-kick.

Harris who was fouled opted to take the set-piece as well and she managed to dip her free-kick over the wall, forcing Moreira to tip the ball over the bar.

Luke Harris’ side was showing signs positive signs towards the end of the game as Liv Banaszak won a free-kick on the side, allowing Ashleigh to cross it in before it was headed clear. Substitute Jade Croft powered the ball back in there, but Met were able to clear their lines.

Met had the final day of the game, after superb work by Simpson to keep the ball in play, found Demi Reading and she teed up Walker-Smith for the shot, but she put her shot over the bar.

Cardiff Metropolitan University Ladies

Moreira, Scherschel, Brown, Richardson (C), Turner, Walker-Smith, Murray, Ayling, Wells(Simpson 56), Townsend (Reading 85), Clipston (Tiley 66)

Caldicot Town Ladies 

Young, Cumins(Croft 84), Sprintall, Pentney, Pinchard, Phelps, Banaszak, Bayliss, Harris, Malpas, Waters.

One thought on “Cardiff Metropolitan University Ladies 2-0 Caldicot Town Ladies – Archers widen gap with victory over sturdy Caldicot

Leave a Reply